Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Bread, Bread, Everywhere!

I signed up for a Bakery assignment at welfare square
yesterday. I have never (okay maybe a few times) been
soooo, soooo, sore in all my life. I have muscles that
hurt that I didn't know I had.
We went in and worked at slicing, packaging, & tying off
the bread; then loading it in baskets for distribution.
I have never seen so much bread in my lifetime. I asked
the service missionary how many loaves are baked daily?
His answer was "Because it is Christmas we bake around
6000 loaves on Mondays. Every other day is 3-4 thousand
loaves." I do know that a lot of that bread was going to
Utah County.
I've done welfare assignments that aren't so back breaking,
like loading jars on the conveyor belt for honey, tomato
sauce, spaghetti sauce. I've even done dry pack
When I came home, I could barely move, but the worst of it
was the bread dust from the slicers. It was all over.
It definitely is for a worthy cause, so I guess my
complaining has to end here.
I just hope that someone doesn't find little pieces of blue
glove in their loaf of bread.

3 comments:

Shanda said...

Holy Moly! That is alot of bread! Sounds fun though! I am sure you had a blast!

Roy said...

You guys seriously need some more pictures on your blog. I'll help you get started:

Click Me

P.S. There is nothing bad on the page--however, I hope your search filter is set to block questionable content...because the term that I searched for has come to have multiple meanings :).

Love ya!

Kerri said...

Gaylene! You jumped in to the blogging world! I'm so excited. Way to go on the bread thing. That's an act of service for sure.

About Me

My photo
Keith and I were married on October 12,1996 in the Manti, Utah LDS Temple. We have no children but raised one child, Kassie, who is actually my niece. We have 3 adorable grandchildren, Austin 5, Ashlynne 4, and Andrew 1. It has become apparent that our home has an OPEN-DOOR policy, since a lot of people have come and gone through our doors. I retired from the medical profession in Aug of 2007 after nearly 30 years and spend my time taking care of these three very lively, often funny,and very active children. My mother lives with us, however she is serving in the Illinois Peoria Mission and will return in July of 2011. Keith is an R.N. and works at a local rehab center in the Mental Health department. One day we hope to finish our home and travel more;