Monday, August 17, 2009

SUNDAY EVENING EMERGENCY ROOM

As life goes on at Hartford Hotel, so does the regular business of visiting an emergency room. Not with one, but two of us last night.

I have been suffreing from some back pain for the past three months, but the last week and more especially the last three day have been utterly excruciating. Nothing seems to help. Heat has stopped helping, Ibuprofen isn't touch it. Keith had given me some pain medication that I ony take at night. But it makes me sick.

Yesterday I was doing sharing time for Primary, so I had to be there, a little later while I was tearing off tape for the sharing time and talking to Liz about getting lost while running. (No worries--she has been found and no she didn't leave Jeff for four men--they were on her Ipod music..) I broke out in a terrible sweat from nearly every pore on my body. It was running n my eyes, down my back, across my lips behind my ears--I as just plain swweating. And no, it wasn't a hot flash! (yes, I have them and I know what they feel like) --it was from the pain I was experiencing.

After we got home, I noticed that Austin was in the computer room with my mom, who by the way was sick as well (that's an oxymoron--sick/well!) and she said that the kids had been at the park for RJ's baseball game and it had just ended. Ashlynne was
at the top of a slide and fell down the ladder and had broken her nose. The kids had to take her to the ER.

Well, I guess I wasn't going to the ER--I didn't want Ashlynne to see me and make things worse for her and me. Problem solved--I just went to the U of U ER. That way my doctors can get all of my information if they need it.

So off I go to the ER by myself--in hysterical tears because I hurt so bad, sobbing, wondering if I can make it. We didn't want my mome to worry. So I just said I had a meeting I had to go to.

I reached the ER and told thme what was going on--fear of the cancer returning (Yes I have an appointment on Thursday for a two yer follow-up), Kidney stone, or something else, I'm not sure what.

For an Emergency Room they were going to get a present from me for promptness. They were unbeleivably quick--and nice as nice can be, helping out this sobbing hysterical woman. They got me back, I had my blood drawn, pain meds (Dilaudid--woot woot) given thru IV and was in a CT scan in one hour and a half. I'm thinking I am in a dream--this never happens in the ER. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. And to boot--I wasn't feeling too bad, the pain meds had kicked in and I was looped. I had the results back in 45 minutes--NOTHING! What do you mean nothing? "I'm sorry mam, but there is nothing in there, no mass, no UTI, no kidney stone. You have Renal colic!"
Renal Colic--hypersensitivity to..., , overactivity from..., Spasticity..., WHAT? You have a spastic kidney!

Prescription for pain meds in hand and I am out the door. Have a nice day!
We get home and Ashlynne has come home as well--no broken nose, but plenty banged up and sore and bruised. Me, still pretty looped from the pain meds and ready for bed.



Thanks Liz for being on alert in case we needed you for Andrew. And thanks Nat for helping out too.

Today, Ashlynne is back to normal--except she has discovered she can't wipe or blow her nose. I am still in pain, but have to wait until I see the doctor on Thursday for more answers.

5 comments:

Ben, KoriAnn, Brighton & Bristol said...

Dang your good!!! I was hoping that it would be harder. But since you watched the episode a few weeks ago that gives you the advantage. I'm not going to tell you what the prize is. You'll get it soon though :) Good Job!!!

How was the hospital visit? Is everyone ok? More importantly, are you ok?

Gaylene said...

Just check out my blog, I just finished it!

Camille said...

Hooray for pain meds... Hope all is well for you and that Ashlynne doesn't pick off her scab like Annie does....

Liz said...

Oh Gaylene!!!! What a night!!! I was happy to be on the alert! Happy isn't the right word, but I would do anything for you guys at any time! Never hesitate to call me is what I really want to say! I'm glad your meds gave you some relief, and I hope you get all the answers you need at your appointment! I'm also glad that Ashlynne's nose wasn't really broken! How scary! She was pretty banged up! You guys have certainly met your quota for ER visits!!!

Kerri said...

GAYLENE!!!! Hugs to you. You are wonder woman. I'm so sorry for all that you've been going through. Hope the pain lessens quickly.

About Me

My photo
Keith and I were married on October 12,1996 in the Manti, Utah LDS Temple. We have no children but raised one child, Kassie, who is actually my niece. We have 3 adorable grandchildren, Austin 5, Ashlynne 4, and Andrew 1. It has become apparent that our home has an OPEN-DOOR policy, since a lot of people have come and gone through our doors. I retired from the medical profession in Aug of 2007 after nearly 30 years and spend my time taking care of these three very lively, often funny,and very active children. My mother lives with us, however she is serving in the Illinois Peoria Mission and will return in July of 2011. Keith is an R.N. and works at a local rehab center in the Mental Health department. One day we hope to finish our home and travel more;