Tuesday, March 17, 2009

IRISH EDUCATION FROM A FOUR YEAR OLD

Have you ever had one of those days and then the four year old chimes in with something very profound.
Today has been one of those horrific days when, no matter what you said or did and no matter what Austin said or did, there was always a fight with him. Believe me there have been no lucky leprechauns around our place today.
He is in EXTREME DEFIANT MODE right now and I won't go into all the reasons for his poor behavior. For those of you who read this--you probably have a very good idea already as to why he acts the way he does.
So there is the contant argument about picking up your toys, no jumping on the bed or couches, don't hit your sister, don't say that word....the list goes on forever. But this was the kicker of the day until after dinner. He had gone outside and was walking up and down the sidewalk and I asked him what he was doing--
Austin: "SMOKING A CIGARETTE! Do you have another one I can have?"
Nana: "Absolutely NO! We DO NOT smoke cigarettes, here or anywhere else!"
Austin: "I'm just "tending" (pretending)! Yelling at me at the top of his voice.
Yes, this adorable little boy, whom I love and adore (mostdays)said this to me. He is FOUR for Pete's sake. What is a Nana to do now?

Cigarettes all forgotten, it is dinner time and he is ready to eat when I say we are having POTSTICKERS. HE LOOOVVVVVVES Potstickers. Keith finishes dinner and says he is going downstairs to watch some History Channel special about St. Patrick.

Austin then asks who St. Patrick is and I tell him that he was a priest in Ireland that said a blessing on the land and supposedly drives all the snakes from Ireland, (like they had snakes in the first place).
Austin's Four Year old innocence kicks in at this point and said " What kind of car did St. Patrick drive to drive the 'nakes out?
I told him St. Patrick didn't have a car, that it was before cars were invented, so he said "Then what type of shovel did he use?" Did St. Patrick use a shovel? Who knows for sure.
We got a great laugh out of that. Happy St. Patrick's Day to All!!!

1 comment:

Shanda said...

THAT is hilarious!! Been smokin much??
Gosh, well DID St. Patrick use a shovel? How cute is he!!

About Me

My photo
Keith and I were married on October 12,1996 in the Manti, Utah LDS Temple. We have no children but raised one child, Kassie, who is actually my niece. We have 3 adorable grandchildren, Austin 5, Ashlynne 4, and Andrew 1. It has become apparent that our home has an OPEN-DOOR policy, since a lot of people have come and gone through our doors. I retired from the medical profession in Aug of 2007 after nearly 30 years and spend my time taking care of these three very lively, often funny,and very active children. My mother lives with us, however she is serving in the Illinois Peoria Mission and will return in July of 2011. Keith is an R.N. and works at a local rehab center in the Mental Health department. One day we hope to finish our home and travel more;