Tuesday, June 15, 2010

SHINGLES

The diagnosis is in---FINALLY--SHINGLES I didn't want to show what the gorrie details looked like of real shingles so I chose a nice roof shingle instead.
Yep--that's been the source of all of the pain I have been in for a little over a year.
I woke up in June last year in severe pain. I thought I had slept crooked. It didn't go away, didn't go away and didn't go away!!!
I tried everything. Ibuprofen, Aspirin, A few Rx Narcotics, Muscle Relaxers, Heating pad (as a matter of fact, I still sleep with it on all the time, you name it, I tried it!!!
Last August (2009) I was teaching a Primary lesson and after I was finished I was in so much pain I drove myself to the emergency room. The fear at that time was the return of my Kidney Cancer. NOTHING--all good!! Yay no cancer.

In September of 2009, I finally gave in and saw my obstetrician--someone I trusted, and if I had to have a hysterectomy, face it, I was 48 years old and ready to get rid of everything. Besides, he was getting ready to serve an LDS Mission as a mission president for three years and if it has to come out--get it done now. NOTHING--as a matter of fact, the tests from that showed some previous problems were getting better. Woo hoo!!

In December and MRI was done. This turned out to show that I have a bulge in one of my discs--thankfully not L4-L5. It is up higher and allows more mobility than if it were those two. I also have an anular tear (what ever that is). But again no problems from that. So NOTHING--again!

This year I have had another CT scan--nothing, but because it was somewhat abdominal, they decided for colonoscopy and upper endoscopy would be in order to rule out Colon Cancer and/or Ulcer! Again, NADA, except a polyp that could turn cancerous--so thanks to my wonderful family history of colon cancer--I am now a candidate for colonoscopy every three years, rather than every 5 or 10!

So, back to the drawing board. I saw the doctor about 3 weeks ago and she said "I think it may be shingles". But, again, no other regular Shingles symptoms. I like to keep them hopping. I have always been a bit ATYPICAL. The only thing I have had for this entire year is the pain, but the pain is where most shingles would occur--one sided, back to front, inside pain. And I had absolutely no rash--go figure.

So, this pain is a neuralgia (nerve related from the shingles) and I will hopefully be getting some relief on Friday after an epidural injection is done. I have also been started on a prescription that is given for seizure therapy, but is also given for nerve pain, such as shingles! Right now is is giving me a headache and I can't sleep.

Now that you have read this boring entry and know all about my pain, I am sorry. I Really am keeping this mostly as a journal for myself. That's the best way for me to remember.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Gaylene, what a relief to have a diagnosis. I'm so sorry. Your year has indeed been horrific.

About Me

My photo
Keith and I were married on October 12,1996 in the Manti, Utah LDS Temple. We have no children but raised one child, Kassie, who is actually my niece. We have 3 adorable grandchildren, Austin 5, Ashlynne 4, and Andrew 1. It has become apparent that our home has an OPEN-DOOR policy, since a lot of people have come and gone through our doors. I retired from the medical profession in Aug of 2007 after nearly 30 years and spend my time taking care of these three very lively, often funny,and very active children. My mother lives with us, however she is serving in the Illinois Peoria Mission and will return in July of 2011. Keith is an R.N. and works at a local rehab center in the Mental Health department. One day we hope to finish our home and travel more;