Thursday, July 2, 2009

ANGELS (a.k.a. Young Men) IN SHORTS AND T-SHIRTS

When we moved into this ward (Grandview 2nd) nearly 9 years ago, my mom said hesitantly that she wasn't sure we would like the ward. Oh great, because we were coming from a ward that we absolutely adored and loved and we weren't wanting to leave in the first place. We actually left our Kimball Mill Ward in Bountiful kicking and screaming and we loved Bountiful and didn't want to leave in the first place.

We arrived here at the first part of November and I have to say that if I were told I had to move today, I would be leaving here kicking and screaming. I might easily move back to Bountiful--I loved it there (but I love Highland Park too). But I would have to take my entire ward with me. We have made a lot of good friends, lifetime friends and we really aren't sure why she was worried in the first place. We were made to feel welcome from the first Sunday that we went to church.

Several Sundays ago I was speaking with one of our Young Men leaders, Jeff, who happens to be the husband of my darling friend Liz, and were discussing what needed to be done to get our sidewalk taken out. Our other friends, the Cravens, were taking theirs out too, but not for the same reasons we were. Jeff talked to us about some things that need to be done and later, suggested that we go in together with having our sidewalks poured at the same time to save time and money.

Well as luck would have it, the rain has postponed a lot of working on this project for both families and frankly, Keith and I just couldn't do this physically with our backs. Jeff then suggested that they have the Young Men come over and do it as a Service Project. Great Idea Jeff!!! And I said, I would feed them--not just a drinks and a doughnut, but real food--barbecued Hamburgers and Hot Dogs.

Keith didn't get the grill put together in time, but the George Foreman came in handy for grilling up those patties and dogs.

Those boys and leaders came over and set to work straight away. When it was mentioned that food was involved there were no complaints from any of those growing boys.

These guys worked their guts out and a lot of sweat was pouring out over the flagstone that I insisted that we keep to do a patio in the back yard. So Mom, we are not getting rid of the sidewalk, it will just take on a different form in the back yard.

I also have to give huge KUDOS to the newest of the Young Men (Logan Staley, Josh Broom, Colton Atkinson, Josh Green, and Bo Midgley) who really worked harder than most--except of course the leaders (Thanks a bunch Scott and Doug a.k.a Steve.) and big thanks to Jonathon Hernandez, who worked hard enough that he worked off 3 Cheese Ham Dogs and lots of watermelon. You earned every bite. And Josh Green, don't ever let it be said that you can't do something because you are smaller than the other boys--you may be small but you are MIGHTY and deserve a lot of respect from your peers. Keep up the great work. And you can certainly handle a sledge hammer. Any of these boys can. Chandler and Jordan Midgley, thank you for all of your hard work. Did I leave out anyone?

Those boys who are still in Primary for 5 more months, they worked there 12 year old hearts out hearts out tonight. I am so proud of all of you. It really makes me happy to see all of the hard work that has gone into teaching and structuring all of you has paid off. And big KUDOS to all of their parents for teaching them the proper principles of serving others.

We certainly appreciate all that you did for us tonight and are grateful for all of your hard work and service not only in our behalf, but in others as well.

t











sorry about the double photos--this just lets you know how hard they really worked on this project!! (my downloading is doing some funcky things)

2 comments:

Shanda said...

How awesome to have a ward like that!

Mormon Bachelor Pad said...

Hi,

In response to your question on our blog. I have been lazily following your blog since I originally stumbled onto this post, probably from someone who links to you's blog... I was attracted by the title.

I have entirely too much time on my hands, and so I am a rampant blog stalker. So I follow any blogs which I find interesting.

Unfortunately, I can not reveal to you my identity, as that would defeat the purpose of my blog. We may know each other or we may not.

Anyway hope that clears it up, a little, have a great day.

About Me

My photo
Keith and I were married on October 12,1996 in the Manti, Utah LDS Temple. We have no children but raised one child, Kassie, who is actually my niece. We have 3 adorable grandchildren, Austin 5, Ashlynne 4, and Andrew 1. It has become apparent that our home has an OPEN-DOOR policy, since a lot of people have come and gone through our doors. I retired from the medical profession in Aug of 2007 after nearly 30 years and spend my time taking care of these three very lively, often funny,and very active children. My mother lives with us, however she is serving in the Illinois Peoria Mission and will return in July of 2011. Keith is an R.N. and works at a local rehab center in the Mental Health department. One day we hope to finish our home and travel more;