Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Let me preface this by saying, I know it is only Tuesday but I have had the week from He!!...
The weekend last week began by getting to puppy sit our favorite puppy, Sophie. She is adorable and she loves kids. Andrew wasn't scared this time and he loved playing with her. Austin sometimes forgets she is a dog and thinks he can play with her the same way he plays with his dad, sister and brother.





Sunday night--early Monday morning at 12:10 a.m. I heard an interesting sound in my basement and was awakened by a crunching sound. I got up and went to find the source of the sound when I walked into puddle of water in my basement. Now this is not really unusual for us--it generally happens every 6 months or so. Well, the source of the noise was Keith trying to get the electric auger to break up those blasted roots in the sewer--I hear a scream and go traipsing through the water barefooted where I find Keith screaming in pain. The auger has flipped him with his hand in the out-take valve--he is stuck and has to reverse the auger just to get his hand loose. Just a note of interest: he didn't have his gloves on about 5 minutes before this happened. Some little prompting told him to put on his gloves. Thank goodness he listened.
The auger had crushed his hand and by all indications he had definitley broken it.
At 12:30 we are heading to the emergency room--where he is x-rayed. The circulation in his ring finger is being cut off, so they decide he needs to have his ring cut off. After the x-rays, he is cleaned up and told it is a contusion and abrasions and there is no break! Yay--I am so happy. We are in and out of the ER in 2 hours--yes T.W.O. HOURS! It was a record. But I get home and can't get back to sleep.
That morning, a little later that 3:00 a.m., I have to get someone here to go into the line and figure out why the auger won't work. The men come, dig a little hole in my front yard, becuase they don't know why the auger didn't go down and send a camera down and find loads of tree roots as big around as my thumb. Afterall we live in a wonderful neighborhood--generally peaceful and quiet, but those trees sure do a number on the sewer system.
Jumping to Tuesday. Keith decides we are going to take the kids to the park for lunch. It is a lovely day--shorts weather, a light breeze and at the park there is space to run and play.
We were down in the playground with the kids and he had picked up Andrew. He tripped on the cement and down he goes--baby and all. He curls himself around andrew and skins his knee--bashes his hand (the one he hurt yesterday morning mind you) and keeps Andrew from falling against the cement bench with his head.
He says to me that his fingers must have gotten hurt again and when he brings it up, his index finger is in the shape of a spoon--concave, not convex! So if he didn't break those puppies yesterday--he was doing his darndest to break something today.


By the end of today, his left hand (yes, he is left handed) is all bruised and bleeding. Pinky, Ring and Mid fingers from the auger. Pointer finger is dislocated and has to have a shot to put it back into place. And he has a sprained right wrist.
I would say I would be happy for this day to end, but there is still an hour and ten minutes left in this day--so, please, please, please hurry and end swiftly.

(Just a side note: Keith just came up and told me we are under water again--the day didn't listen)

2 comments:

Kerri said...

Gaylene, it blows my mind that you can have so much put on your plate. You have wonderful blessings waiting for you in heaven, I'm sure.

Camille said...

Ooch! I hope that all is well at your house - and quiet! - soon! If we can help... let us know!

About Me

My photo
Keith and I were married on October 12,1996 in the Manti, Utah LDS Temple. We have no children but raised one child, Kassie, who is actually my niece. We have 3 adorable grandchildren, Austin 5, Ashlynne 4, and Andrew 1. It has become apparent that our home has an OPEN-DOOR policy, since a lot of people have come and gone through our doors. I retired from the medical profession in Aug of 2007 after nearly 30 years and spend my time taking care of these three very lively, often funny,and very active children. My mother lives with us, however she is serving in the Illinois Peoria Mission and will return in July of 2011. Keith is an R.N. and works at a local rehab center in the Mental Health department. One day we hope to finish our home and travel more;