Tuesday, April 27, 2010

5 HOUR BLACKOUT

I fed the kids early tonight. Not alot to think about when you are fighting a migraine and haven't had a lot of sleep. We only had Spaghetti-O's--but at least I fed them. It was a long day for both mom and dad. I was having a terrible day keeping my temper in control and lost it a few times. Then at 5:30 when I went to fix soup for Keith, RJ and me--the power went out.
I can generally entertain myself by reading or crocheting or the like, but with the pseudo-migraine and a not so great night's sleep, I was trying to entertain Ashlynne (4) and Andrew (16 mons). Reading just seems to be an impossiblility with these two. We played ball, we chased each other around the front room, we even went outside and played on the lawn, but the wind was horrible and I can still taste sand and dust in my mouth--it is terrible.
Later, Ashlynne decided I should play the piano--so until the light got so bad, I played some Primary Songs with them--along with the helping hands of the 16 month old--we are great as a duet!!!
I got a call from RJ at 8:30 and he wasn't going to make it to pick up Kassie at work. I put the two little ones to bed with Keith and took Austin with me.
We made a Pit Stop at Smiths for Emergency candles. What a rip off--4 candles in a package and 6 packages and a few other things and it cost me $70.00. I think I am going to have to make a trip to Big Lots or the Dollar Store for emergency candles. When we got home, I found the butane lighter and lit a few candles.

Austin thought it was the coolest thing that the wind took the electricity away--but then try and explain why you can't have toast and even worse--explain to his mother, the 23 year old, why the washing machine doesn't work without electricity. All it has to do is rotate with the water. Yeah! with the help of electricity!!! Duh!

Austin then thought it was a good time to write a letter to Grammie. So we sat down and wrote a letter and told her what was happening. He thought it was a great adventure to write a letter by candle light. Then he drew a cute 5 year old picture of her. He said he wanted to tell her just how much he misses her and that he loves her very much. So he said to me, "Nana, just tell her what I just said to you!"

The power came on 10 minutes short of 5 hours. It was quite the adventure. Now it is time to go to bed and help my psuedo-migraine from becoming full blown.

1 comment:

Ben, KoriAnn, Brighton & Bristol said...

Oh Miss Kassie cracks me up! I totally understand Austins excuse but Kassie's comment is priceless and had me laughing out loud. She always makes fun of my stupid comments, now she has one. Yay!

About Me

My photo
Keith and I were married on October 12,1996 in the Manti, Utah LDS Temple. We have no children but raised one child, Kassie, who is actually my niece. We have 3 adorable grandchildren, Austin 5, Ashlynne 4, and Andrew 1. It has become apparent that our home has an OPEN-DOOR policy, since a lot of people have come and gone through our doors. I retired from the medical profession in Aug of 2007 after nearly 30 years and spend my time taking care of these three very lively, often funny,and very active children. My mother lives with us, however she is serving in the Illinois Peoria Mission and will return in July of 2011. Keith is an R.N. and works at a local rehab center in the Mental Health department. One day we hope to finish our home and travel more;