Thursday, April 2, 2009

FAREWELL, DEAR FRIEND

When my father died last August, some dear wonderful friends gave me a little token reminder of how we believe in the afterlife and I think it is appropriate to share on this posting:

"We are made ALIVE in CHRIST because of our FAITH"
2 Nephi 25::25


On Tuesday night I had been at the home of a family in our ward watching their grandchildren, while the family could attend the viewing of their father and grandfather. When I arrived home, my mom told me that she had some bad news.

I was just a bit hesitant in my reaction because my brother has been seriously ill in the hospital with C-Difficele and I thought he had taken a bad turn. But mom didn't seem to be too broken up, so I asked her what was going on. She told me about my friend, Janin, who had passed away that afternoon, while watching her grandchildren for one of her daughters while she and her husband were at the temple.
I met Janin Jackman over 20 years ago. Her husband, Randy, was called to be a counselor in our Singles Ward in Rose Park. Randy had grown up in our stake, and they actually lived there most of their married life, if not all; until a few years ago--when they decided to move to Lakepoint (that's out by Tooele). Their children, Emily, Aaron and Claar, grew up being part of the "Singles Family".

I knew Janin, but not well, until the Bishopric decided it was time to get our "cliques" divided up a little and have Family Home Evening groups, where I was assigned to the Jackman's group. I was a little hesitant at first. I am not the type of person to approach new people and I was comfortable where I was. I really wasn't too sure about it--but I went along with it (after all I didn't have to go). But it became a great match.
L. Janin Briggs Jackman 1956 ~ 2009
This woman loved her husband, her children and grandchildren. She had a ZEST for life that is hard to find these days. The tackled everything she did, whether it be family, church, school, community, etc., with a purpose.

This girl, who was close to our age (she is four years older than I), she fit right in with everyone. She constantly was making us laugh, she cried with us, she did everything we did--with no holds barred. They would invite the group over for Sunday Dinners and she would joke with us girls about "Who was going to marry Randy when she died". We didn't find it too funny, but maybe she knew more about her life than we thought. I was actually pegged a few times as his next wife. Too bad polygamy wasn't in force--'cause Janin was picking sister-wives left and right. When she was picking out a new wife for Randy, we would just look at her and think 'that's just Janin.' Poor Randy. He just sat back and took all she dished out. And he loved her for it. We loved Randy and we wouldn't have done that to either of them. This was a couple whose marriage was wonderful--you always wanted to emulate these two and if you thought about a perfect marriage it was the "Jackmans"

As most of you know, I was not married until I was 35. At my wedding ceremony, Janin came up to Keith and said to him " Thank you for marrying her--I glad someone finally did". She was saying this in jest--but I wonder if in the back of her mind she was partly serious.

When you would see her at some function, family gathering, friends party, etc., she would always greet you with " Hey, there's Schmardebeck!" Then we would laugh because I have been "Bauer" for almost 13 years.

Time gets away from you in the everyday hub-bub of raising children, becoming grand-parents, moving away, and anything else that gets in the way of life, and we always said we would run out and visit---but, alas, it never happened. It was on the way to my Aunt's house in Grantsville, but she moved to Idaho, so there was no reason to go out there, unless it was to see Randy & Janin. But we never did. We sent Christmas and birthday cards, back and forth. But again, we never got out there, and for this, it makes me sad to know that I won't see her again in this life.

So, farewell for now, Dear Friend. I love you and will see one day on the other side.

L. Janin Briggs Jackman 1956 ~ 2009 The world's best wife, mother, grandmother and friend left for her final great adventure March 31, 2009. Born Oct. 14, 1956 in Jerome, Idaho to Gail Lamar Briggs and Laura Pearl Hansen Briggs. Janin joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a teen while attending West High School. She married Randy Argyle Jackman in the Salt Lake Temple June 24, 1975. Her greatest joys in life were summers at Lake Powell, spending time with her grandkids, traveling, books on tape and sneaking chocolate treats. She was a genuine friend to all. Her time was spent serving the Lord, both in numerous church callings and by lifting the souls of those who needed it. She was selfless and found joy in the simple things in life. Never bought what she could make or borrow, never kept what she could give away. Janin never missed an event. She was there for EVERY birthday, graduation, wedding, sporting event and party. She was the greatest fan and loudest cheerleader. She had an amazing sense of humor which kept everyone laughing at all times. She was young in heart, spirit and body.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

Gaylene, I'm so sorry. What a sad thing to happen. And you still managed to bring me soup today. You're amazing.

Liz said...

That was a very nice tribute! You are a wonderful and thoughtful friend! I'm glad you could have such a dear person in your life!

About Me

My photo
Keith and I were married on October 12,1996 in the Manti, Utah LDS Temple. We have no children but raised one child, Kassie, who is actually my niece. We have 3 adorable grandchildren, Austin 5, Ashlynne 4, and Andrew 1. It has become apparent that our home has an OPEN-DOOR policy, since a lot of people have come and gone through our doors. I retired from the medical profession in Aug of 2007 after nearly 30 years and spend my time taking care of these three very lively, often funny,and very active children. My mother lives with us, however she is serving in the Illinois Peoria Mission and will return in July of 2011. Keith is an R.N. and works at a local rehab center in the Mental Health department. One day we hope to finish our home and travel more;