Wednesday, October 13, 2010

14th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY

My 14th Wedding Anniversary was spent alone--alone without a husband, but not alone.
Goods friends and family made it bearable.

My day was spent by doing a lot of things to keep my mind off of everything that has happened, but it turns out that is not the way the winds were blowing.

I had had a terrible day the day before--Kassie was angry with me because I am not getting on with my life in the speed "she" thinks I should, so I blew up at her. I was already anticipating a bad day for Tuesday and as it turned out, Monday seems have been a tad bit worse.

Tuesday began with running errands for me and for my mom--bank, store, money transfers for mission, all of the fun stuff you have to do to keep a missionary in the field. After all those errands I ran and got flowers to take to the cemetery. When I arrived at the cemetery, to my surprise, I was met with the headstone that was set that very morning. It is very beautiful, but I was totally caught off guard, as were my tear ducts. I truly didn't expect it to be set for another 2 or 3 weeks.

I met a friend, who like myself, lost her husband (20 years ago and she was 33) and has been a a godsend to me by giving me a lot of wise advice and the nice thing about it is that I can take it or leave it--it isn't going to offend her if I don't do something or change something around a little.

After lunch I ran home and got ready to go to the temple. Keith had wanted to get his mother's temple work done starting at the first of the year--but time got away from both of us and here I was--taking care of it on my anniversary--but oh, what a way to spend it. Not only did we get her work done, but we had her sealed to my father-in-law, to her parents and lastly in this particular mix, we were able to have Keith sealed to his parents with some strings pulled through Salt Lake.



When I asked about having him sealed--in my naive mind I wasn't thinking and was told we had to wait a year after his death just like everyone else. I was thinking because he had a current recommend when he passed away he could be sealed, but apparently this wasn't the case. Then when I called the Bountiful Temple (Keith's choice for his mom) the sister asked me a question about my mother-in-law and why my husband wasn't taking care of this. So I explained everything to her and that he had passed away six weeks prior to this. I was trying to come up with dates I could do this and nothing was working out; so this just seemed to be the right day to have the work done. She then told me that because he was a current recommend holder when he passed away, that all they had to do was call Salt Lake, pull his records, they copied his current recommend. On Tuesday I went into the office and there was my little blue slip waiting and ready for him to be sealed to his parents. Along with these sealings, we were also able to seal my father to his parents and a few of Keith's relatives work was done as well.

It was an wonderful experience and though I cried through a lot of it, I was calm and at peace. I was joined by my adorable niece, KoriAnn, her husband Ben, and my three of my Syndergaard cousin's that live close by. They have all be a great support through all of this. I thank my lucky stars, daily, for the opportunity to be related to all of these wonderful men (and their wives) and grateful that we are all one eternal family.

I have should say that I am grateful for their wonderful mother (and my uncle, who passed away 16 years ago) and their other four siblings and their spouses as well. Without their love, support, and influence in my life--I might be a very empty shell. But they have held me together when I have needed them. I love you all!

To Keith: 4040404040....TEAB!!!

5 comments:

Kerri said...

Oh, Gaylene, I love you. I think the temple was the perfect place to be on your anniversary, and how amazing to get to do all of that important work on that very day. You're still in my thoughts and prayers.

Liz said...

Amen to Kerri's comment! I'm so impressed with all of the temple work you were able to complete! WOW! I'm also so very impressed with the way you ARE living your life! I don't know about a correct "speed" of getting on with life, but I am certainly in awe of all that you are accomplishing and the personal things and feelings you are able to share! I'm so happy that you were given the tender mercy of having the headstone placed early and the perfect timing of that for you! Love you Gaylene, and I pray for many more tender mercies to carry you along!

Ben, KoriAnn, Brighton & Bristol said...

I seriously don't know why I am crying while reading this blog. When Ben and I first arrived at the temple and I was just going into the locker room I had this overwhelming feeling that that is exaclty where we needed to be on that day. I am so glad that we got to spend the evening with you in the temple Gleen. I am so grateful for eternal families, and the fact that we know we will get to see all our loved ones again. Oh, and by the way I talked to a girl I work with who lost her dad a few years ago, and she told me that it took her mom a good year to "move" on. So, I think you are doing a fantastic job, and healing on your own and it shorter timing too. Regardless of what other people think you need to be "healing" at. My reply too them would be...until you've walked in my shoes you really don't have the right too tell me how I should be "moving on"
That's all...I am done ranting. Love you bunches!!!!!

Eh said...

Goodness...speechless...wow! WOW! I am happy to my core that your day was so special. I can imagine the gathering happening on the other side of the veil.

And on a different note, did my dad seriously die 16 years ago? That's nuts.

(((hugs)))
-Jenny

Brandi said...

I love you Gaylene!

About Me

My photo
Keith and I were married on October 12,1996 in the Manti, Utah LDS Temple. We have no children but raised one child, Kassie, who is actually my niece. We have 3 adorable grandchildren, Austin 5, Ashlynne 4, and Andrew 1. It has become apparent that our home has an OPEN-DOOR policy, since a lot of people have come and gone through our doors. I retired from the medical profession in Aug of 2007 after nearly 30 years and spend my time taking care of these three very lively, often funny,and very active children. My mother lives with us, however she is serving in the Illinois Peoria Mission and will return in July of 2011. Keith is an R.N. and works at a local rehab center in the Mental Health department. One day we hope to finish our home and travel more;