Tuesday, July 27, 2010

LIFE AND DEATH

Yesterday was quite possibly one of the best and the worst days of my life. Now that is not to say that in the future that something may come up that makes this look easy in comparison, but so far--yes it was one of the worst.

Ashlynne and I got up and went with Greg to MS Therapy and from there we went to the funeral of my former boss' father. He was 93 years old, lead a very productive, long, and prosperous life--he would be what most of us would refer to as a "From Rags to Riches" story. He sold all he had to come to America with his wife and two small children and died a millionaire several times over. He was frugal and was one of those who believed in "waste not, want not" He investigated the LDS Church while attempting to locate a book he had to read for college. In those does books were either put in the dafe for keeping because they were rare and needed to be perserved or the government did not want you to read it--It was a book by Andrew Jensen discussing the life of the Prophet Joseph Smith. He had also been dating a young girl for five years that was a memeber of the church. he loved her with all of his heat, but also know that she would NEVER marry him if he were not a memeber of the church. After much persuasion to the library officials, he took the book home and read it that evening, never to return to his former religion. The branch president at the time waved him off and said that he would last about 2-3 weeks.

John served as a missionary in his beloved home of Norway during World War II, under a lot of fear from the German government, brought his small family to American and raised them in the gospel. He became the Family Patriarch, a Bishop, Stake President, Regional Representative, Mission President, Temple President, Temple Sealer, and at to think that at the wave of a branch president to think he would only last a few weeks.

He was a friend to General Authorities and Prophets and it was with great pleasure, that Elder L. Tom Perry and President Monson were surprise speakers at his funeral. They were amazing--the entire funeral was amazing. The total recall of the brethren is spectacular! I was please to be a part of the service.

Then all HELL broke loose!

Ahslynne and I got home around 2:00 p.m. The the dam burst! the kids decided to have a waterfight in the kitchen, while I was in the other Then after fixing dinner, our neighbor came over to see what he was going to need to lay our flagstone and I went outside to talk to him. When I returned to the kitchen, the kids had had an applesauce food fight (so much for that floor I scrubbed on saturday that you could eat off--now there is food!!!) Andrew is having a tummy problem and had the messiest dieapers all day. Andrew also went into the bathroom and pulled on one of the towels and down came the towels rack/shelf that held all of my antique medicine bottles and piece of coral that I bought in San Diego about 10 years ago. Actually the coral was a little more salvageable than the bottles, and the one bottle that didn't break was a bottle I just stuck up there to add to the collection that wasn't an antique. Austin threw a lamp at Ashlynne that promptly turned into a black eye and with this heat I am sweating profusely--enough to supply water to Niagra Falls--the CANADIAN SIDE (bigger falls if you've never been there)

I am sure that other things were going on and through all of this my voice was altered to about 300 million decibles higher than normal because the kids just won't listen,mind, follow through and they are being BIG FAT STINKERS and have gotten on my very last nerve! So I have had no voice for almost 18 hours.


So now that you know what I go through in a regular day, and that was only the afternoon, I am sure you are very jealous and would love to trade spots with me on any given day, right? I didn't think so!!!

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Gaylene. Honestly. I am so so sorry. I really think you need to call my friend I told you about. I really really do. If you've lost her numbers, I'll give them to you again. Help is out there.

About Me

My photo
Keith and I were married on October 12,1996 in the Manti, Utah LDS Temple. We have no children but raised one child, Kassie, who is actually my niece. We have 3 adorable grandchildren, Austin 5, Ashlynne 4, and Andrew 1. It has become apparent that our home has an OPEN-DOOR policy, since a lot of people have come and gone through our doors. I retired from the medical profession in Aug of 2007 after nearly 30 years and spend my time taking care of these three very lively, often funny,and very active children. My mother lives with us, however she is serving in the Illinois Peoria Mission and will return in July of 2011. Keith is an R.N. and works at a local rehab center in the Mental Health department. One day we hope to finish our home and travel more;