Sunday, December 13, 2009

INSPIRATIONAL AND FESTIVE WEEKEND

This weekend was filled with a little of everything. From going to my one and only holiday concert of the season to listening to one of my favorite Apostles at Stake Conference.
Friday night mom and I headed to the Salt Lake Men's Choir for a night filled with music and fun at the First Baptist Church across from East High School If you wonder what the Salt Lake Men's Choir is, it is a choir made up of primarily gay men--however any men are invited to be a part of it. I have friends that I went to High School with that invited me to it and I have to say that it was one of the best concerts I have ever been to. They were incredible
Saturday morning took us to our ward Christmas party with homemade soup, breadsticks,
rolls, cakes, fruit and Santa. The kids loved it. They aren't afraid this year and wasted no time in getting up to his lap. I looked up and actually saw Ashlynne on his lap before I could take out the camera--so I only got one of her. Austin acted as though he was carrying on a conversation with a long lost friend. And for the decorations: Oh I couln't believe it--they were cylinder cardstock, glues together, with small plastic cups set inside and battery operated tea lights set in the cups, with very simple decorations glues to the outsie. Juniper branches down the table with burlap underneath. Simple. Simple. Simple.
.


Saturday evening was our Stake Conference Adult Meeting and we were saturated with the spirit of Elder Vaughn Keach (our Regional Authority for the 14 stakes in our area) as well as one of my all time favorite apostles, Elder Robert G. Hales.
This man has a presence about him like no other, the trials he has been through, the people he has rubbed shoulders with, the stories he tells and he sense of humor is very dry and funny. This man has lived on the brink of death and still comes back with the humor to allow others to identify with him. He would begin to end his talk when he would say " I think this merits a story". I did that about four times.
Today's talk from Elder Hales was of a more spiritual nature, but more to the point and direct on what we need to do to get back to the basic gospel principles.

Today brought a good snowfall and with snow and children come snowballs, snowmen and wet, wild kiddos. It was good for them to have Janessa here to play with them and get wild with--which is usually the case whether it's in or outdoors.

1 comment:

Ben, KoriAnn, Brighton & Bristol said...

Got the bedding from Shopko. Blue with polka dots, very simple. I think that is why I like it the most. Nothing fancy and it didn't cost us an arm and a leg. I know some people spend thousands on a nursery theme, I'm not that type of person.

About Me

My photo
Keith and I were married on October 12,1996 in the Manti, Utah LDS Temple. We have no children but raised one child, Kassie, who is actually my niece. We have 3 adorable grandchildren, Austin 5, Ashlynne 4, and Andrew 1. It has become apparent that our home has an OPEN-DOOR policy, since a lot of people have come and gone through our doors. I retired from the medical profession in Aug of 2007 after nearly 30 years and spend my time taking care of these three very lively, often funny,and very active children. My mother lives with us, however she is serving in the Illinois Peoria Mission and will return in July of 2011. Keith is an R.N. and works at a local rehab center in the Mental Health department. One day we hope to finish our home and travel more;