Wednesday, May 6, 2009

AUSTIN HAS A NEW PAIR OF "FEET"?

It has been a particularly difficult week here at Hartford Hotel. Monday seemed like it took a week--today and yesterday were a little better, but not by much.
Tonight I had the kids by myself while my mom was with my sister on an emergency. Yes, I said emergency. But more on that later.

I was having a difficult time with all three of the kiddoes, with absolutely no help from my husband, because--weh, weh, he has a headache and you would think the world stopped spinning because, let's face it, he is a man and the world did stop spinning, because as a man with a headache, life ends and nothing gets done unless I am really yelling at the top of my lungs for just a minor bit of help.

The scenario was as follows: Austin and Ashlynne were wanting to play on the computer, but they aren't allowed to unless one of us is in the room. Mom had to leave, so of course that left me with a crying baby and two screaming children (nighttime around here is no bed of roses). I went to the stairs and hollered for his help. He comes up with pathetically sad eyes and says " I'll do what I can" (Oh give me a break--what he is really telling me is that I interrupted his 15 hours of sleep again because of his horrifically horrible headache). Girls, why is it that when we have headaches, we still manage to get them dinner, change the kids clothes, feed the kids, maybe clean the bathroom, a few loads of laundry, all while not feeling too well; but they can't function with a simple little headache? Enough of my soapbox. As you can tell I have absolutely no sympathy in this department.

So I said, just watch the big kids while I change and feed the baby and when it is 8:00, the computer goes off, on go the pj's and bring them out and we will have quiet time.
AT 8:00 he had them there in their pj's, with no time wasted-- and there I was on my own again until it was time to put them down. Then this happened.

I was getting Andrew ready for bed and getting his medicine ready when I looked up at Austin, sitting in the Rocking chair with his legs crossed with the cheesiest grin on his face.
This is what I looked up and saw.

It was hilarious. He is very funny and generally at the most inopportune times, but tonight it is really what I needed to get me through.

Nana: Austin what is on your feet?
Austin: They are my new feet.
Nana: Where did you get your new feet?
Austin: Out in the kitchen, under the old table.
Nana: They look like duck feet, you don't know how to swim.
Austin: They aren't duck feet, they are "GLOVE" feet
Nana: Why do you need new feet?
Austin: To make you laugh.

Well, laugh I did! I hope this makes your day like it did mine.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

Oh, Gaylene. It was just one of those days, wasn't it? And I love Austin's new feet. I'm glad you could smile at the end of a day like you had, and I'm glad Austin figured out how to help you smile.

Liz said...

Oh..you needed that! What a cutie, to pick up on Nanna's bad day! Keep smiling!

About Me

My photo
Keith and I were married on October 12,1996 in the Manti, Utah LDS Temple. We have no children but raised one child, Kassie, who is actually my niece. We have 3 adorable grandchildren, Austin 5, Ashlynne 4, and Andrew 1. It has become apparent that our home has an OPEN-DOOR policy, since a lot of people have come and gone through our doors. I retired from the medical profession in Aug of 2007 after nearly 30 years and spend my time taking care of these three very lively, often funny,and very active children. My mother lives with us, however she is serving in the Illinois Peoria Mission and will return in July of 2011. Keith is an R.N. and works at a local rehab center in the Mental Health department. One day we hope to finish our home and travel more;